Tuesday, December 4, 2012

There will always be Paris.




I am reading your lies again tonight- 
They are crumpled up on yellow paper,
Obvious and unflattering,
Like a displaced orphan on the earth’s underbelly.

I asked you to wait while it snowed
In the middle of the ice rink where we met
But these days I hear strange things:
I hear that there is something-
 Something quite special about Parisian evenings
And the women swimming in them and their silk scarves
Their pouts at words like ‘popularity’ and ‘graduation’;
I hear that on the metro, between bursts of music,
People are trapped by how European they are
And they stare into your soul’s balance sheets.
I hear they don’t forget to say things like excusez-moi
Or sil vous plait or cherie while they make you dizzy
I hear they will gladly give up their seats for you
If you are a pencil skirt with a certain je ne sais quoi
I hear that every man who hopes for love
Must walk by the Seine.


I hear that Paris, it is a city made for falling in love,
That there will always be Montmarte
Or the Champs-Élysées, if I pleased.
I hear that while there is Paris, there is love.
But perhaps that is simply because
Pont Neuf dances to a script
Because in French, alone is lonely.

5 comments:

  1. This made me feel like going to Paris RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I hear that while there is Paris, there is love.
    But perhaps that is simply because
    Pont Neuf dances to a script
    Because in French, alone is lonely."

    *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...booking plane ticket NOW.
    Stunning writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me revisit Edith Piaf and nina simone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are you not writing anymore?

    ReplyDelete