Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Strangers in the Night.

Dil-e-mann, Musafir-e-mann,
Meray dil, meray musafir,
Hua phir se hukam sadir
Ke watan badar hon hum tum


Dein galli galli sadain
Karein rukh nagar nagar ka
Ke suraagh koi paein
Kisi yaar-e-nama bar ka


Har aik ajnabi se poochein
Jo pata tha apnay ghar ka
Sar-e-koi nashenayan
Humein din se rat karna

Kabhi iss se baat karna
Kabhi uss se baat karna
Tumhein kya kahoon ke kya hai
Shab e gham buri balla hai


Humein ye bhi na thi ghanimat
Jo koi shumaar hota
Humein kya bura tha marna
Agar aik baar hota

My heart, my fellow traveler,
It has been decreed again
That you and I be exiled,
Go calling out loud in every street
Turning towards every other town
To search for a clue
Of a messenger from our Beloved.

To ask every stranger
Our way back home
In this town of unfamiliar folk
We drudge the day into the night
Talk to this stranger sometimes,
turn to that stranger every other,
How can I ever explain to you
How terrible a silent lonely night is.

It would perhaps have sufficed for me
But I did not have that comfort,
That there would a limit to any of this
I would have gladly welcomed death
If it came only once.


-Faiz.

1 comment: